Saturday, February 16, 2013

Turn that Frown Upside Down

I decided not to run my winter goal race due to family conflicts. I could have juggled and juggled and juggled to make it happen, but it felt to contrived. So I am not racing.

This is one of my first DNS in recent history. I allowed myself a pity party for a day, because my training was pretty much on track with last year's training. I felt confident that my race would go well.

Now I have been surfing race website after race website to find a trail race...this is not easy as it seems during winter in the mountains. I have a few options, but now I need to commit.

As my "race" is about to start, I look at the positives to my training this past winter.
  • My January mileage was consistent even though the temperatures dipped below zero (a lot)!
  • My 18 miler was a mental challenge. 3 times up and down a steep dirt road. I ended up loving it because I would climb the road in an average 11 minute mile and zoom down in close to a 7:30 mile! The variety of pace was fun.
  • Each week, I ran 1-2 quality workouts.
Once I made my decision not to race, I took 3 days off! It helped me shake the lingering cough. I am ready to ramp up the mileage as I look at a March race.

As the Moab race is going on, I will be mapping out my 2013 races trying not to think of the amazing red rocks of the Utah desert.


No comments:

Post a Comment