Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Brand Spanking New Running Log

I love the New Year. Not the holiday so much, but starting fresh with a new running log. As you can see, my log takes a beating as the year progresses. Bibs, race maps, entry confirmations get stuffed in the pages as the days go by. A new log symbolizes new goals and possibilities for me.

 
The 2012 log is sectioned off as well as stuffed with bibs, workout ideas, course maps, gift certificates, pictures, etc…
 

I am already stuffing the new log with important documents for this year.

Rereading your log can provide a powerful insight about your year as a runner. I had a particularly bad race this June. Nothing went right. Nothing felt good. It was a tough 14.5 miles up a 14er. At 45 years of age, I don’t always feel great in a race, but I rarely feel awful. That day was awful. The next day, I read my entries leading up to the race. There were 2 red flags that may have created the issues I had. I also know that every day will not be your day in a race, but a log provides insights into your training. My next race, I created a different week leading up to it and I had an opposite experience.

I “rearrange” my log to make it work for me. I create a bar graph that tracks mileage, a column that keeps track of races, another one for cross training (Pilates, uphill skiing, biking) as well as a column to list my longest run and quality workouts for the week. This keeps me honest and aware. I also have pages to reflect on races, I create a list of when I purchased my shoes and the mileage that I started running in them. After 2 bouts of plantar fasciitis, I am very careful with my shoes. I also use it to gauge effort for previous runs on the same trail. If I need to find a 2 ½ hour run, I look back in my log & find the trail run that works for that day.

You don’t need a running specific calendar or log. For a few years, I used the free calendar the teacher’s union gave out each fall. The space became limiting so I changed to the one I use now. I have seen other’s create a log out of a blank journal that can be bought almost anywhere. Find what works for you. It is very satisfying adding up the weekly miles, graphing the progress, and as mentioned before, keeping me honest and healthy in my training.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment