Saturday, January 26, 2013

Extremes

The long run I took today was almost 40 degrees warmer than last weekend’s long run.

This was taken after last week's run
 
I am thankful that January is coming to a rapid end. It was a cold and lonely January. Over half of my morning runs before work had to be cancelled due to extreme wind chill and temperatures way below zero. I had to be creative and flexible to keep my weekly mileage where it needed to be as the Moab Red Hot 33k approaches quickly.

To compensate for the lack of mileage, I have been committed to quality. At least once a week if not twice, I have been diligent with vertical runs, hill repeats, and intervals, both outside and inside. On the treadmill, I have been playing with the elevation setting. I have been setting the incline at 4% during mile repeats or running 3 miles at 7% with the last 400 set near 10%.

I try to imagine that I running here when I am on the treadmill:

Especially when I feel like this:

How do you deal with setbacks or changes with your weekly running plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment