Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Getting It Done

Some days, I need to be creative to fit in my training. Sunday was one of those days. Fortunately, I was able to run my 16 miler on Saturday so all I had to do on Sunday was a 6-7 mile shakeout run. My original plan was to wake up early to run before we traveled to Telluride for my son's hockey game. I woke up to 9 inches of wet snow and the roads were yet to be plowed. So plan B.


The snow was a lot heavier than usual!
 
Living in the mountains, balancing work, and family commitments, it is important to have a plan B and a plan C and sometimes a D!

I dressed in my running clothes, and we drove to Telluride. I had my husband let me out of the car before we hit town so the dog and I ran 4 miles to the rink, I dropped Jackson off at the car, and I tagged on an extra 3 miles towards Bridal Veil Falls. Luckily, I have run in Telluride frequently (usually between youth hockey games), so I knew where I needed to go. Once I was done, I could focus on my family and enjoy the games.

Here was my view as I ran towards the rink and during my extra bit.
 


To use the Brooks motto, I run happy in Telluride. The box canyon is dramatic and I have such fond memories of racing the Imogene Pass Run a few years back. IPR is a bucket list race. I run mountains all the time, but the San Juan Range is one of the most fantastic areas to run in Colorado.
http://imogenerun.com/course.htm

Planning my week of training, I usually look for any roadblocks that may come my way, and tentatively have another plan. Having a back-up plan has allowed me to be more consistent in my weekly mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment