Friday, January 11, 2013

Winter Running


Whew! This topic can take days to talk about--appropriate dress, temperature, and footing to name a few.

I didn’t always embrace winter running. In college, indoor track season started in January so I had no choice but to brave the Minnesota winters. When I moved to Colorado, my winter runs were sporadic. As I look back on my early running logs, my monthly miles from November through March were inconsistent and low. Living at 8,000 feet, the weather can easily rule your life!

The past few years, I broke this pattern and it has made a positive impact on my overall fitness and summer racing. There are a few attributes that I can state to this change in my training.
  • Turning 40! I couldn’t take my running for granted anymore. Consistent training was the key to staying injury free.
  • Training partners! I have a few friends who will meet me at 5:30 am to run before work. Knowing that a friend is waiting for me in the dark and cold propels me out of bed in the morning (3x a week).
  • Early season race. I have run a race in February orMarch the past few seasons. This helps me focus on getting a long run in as well as moderately high weekly mileage.
Last weekend, I wanted to add a little spice to my runs. There is a mountain where the local ski area grooms the road to allow people to skin (ski uphill). Our recent cold weather had made the road pretty firm. So I strapped on my “spikes”, and headed up the road. 

 
Check out my Brooks! They are pimped out for a fast winter run! Once I started running, I forgot about the spikes. They are more light weight than they look.

My reason for this run was to be able to climb over 3 miles for a consistent effort. Once I finished, I believe that the main benefit was a super fast descent.  Winter running messes with my downhill mojo. The icy roads change my form and I am very cautious. Not on this run, I was able to let it rip! I focused on proper downhill form and quick turnover.


I did allow myself to look up and enjoy the views as I was cranking downhill.

I passed many uphill skiers on the way down to my car. My favorite person I ran by was a mountain biker. He had huge, fat tires that are designed for snow. I guess he is missing summer, too!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment