Monday, March 17, 2014

Do as I Say, Not as I Do?

When students want to abandon a book, I take them through the ringer. Not that extreme, but they do need to give me reasons. I also limit the number of "abandonments" they can have.


I want to stop listening to my book on CD! Really bad!


Two days ago I wrote that part of my motivation to get out of bed to drive to my race was the fact that I had checked out books on CD. I had three to choose from. I picked my book and settled in for my drive.


It had me laughing and talking the main character. Then it turned. It got depressing and then super depressing as well as infuriating. I would leave my car with such a feeling of discontent.


My husband told me that I can stop listening. Easy for him to say. I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a book that I had started. Plus, I have to walk the walk. Students can't abandon, so why should I.


I want to finish because I am hopeful that it will end up okay. But what is it doesn't?
WRITE. Every day in March write a slice of life story on your own blog. SHARE. Link your post in the comments on each daily call for slice of life stories here at TWT. GIVE. Comment on at least three other slice of life stories/blogs.

3 comments:

  1. You are not alone. It is so hard to "give up" on a book. As experienced readers we know how fast the tables can turn--for the better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do make a choice to abandon if I haven't purchased the book. Sometimes my heart just doesn't need that kind of sorrow. I also have a friend that will rec. and they work out the best...she knows my taste. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I returned the book right before I read your comment :)! I need light & happy right now!

      Delete