Monday, March 10, 2014

Staying Present!

“Yesterday is gone.  Tomorrow has not yet come.
We have only today.  Let us begin.”
―Mother Teresa
Why is it so hard to be in the moment? 

Most of my life I feel like I have been looking ahead...when I was younger it was the next birthday or starting 4th grade or going to high school then college.


As an adult, I try to slow down. Focus on the moment. On Monday morning as I start my run, I play my schedule, my children's and even my husband's through my brain like a movie.  I think about Nordic for Liam, hockey for Sully, hockey for my husband, book club for me, banquet for Sully, counseling appointment for Liam...that only takes me through Tuesday night. I am not even thinking about homework or my planning needs. Whew!

Keeping the schedules straight, helps me stay sane. My new promise to myself is to be present even in the chaos of life.

Today as I finished my run, I took a moment to look at the stars. They were brilliant. I took a mental picture to remember the clarity of constellations we are fortunate to have in the mountains because I wonder what the stars will be like in Panama.

As I was folding laundry, I stopped to play a game of Tenzies with Liam when he asked.

I sat and enjoyed my first sips of coffee without checking email, making lunches, feeding animals,unloading the dishwasher or any other chore that i could have done at 5:15 a.m.


I am starting with small moments. Hopefully that creates many more.
How do you stay in the moment?

1 comment:

  1. There are so many good things and planning that we can do when we are running or working out. I bet you can run your 'slice' through your mind also. xo

    ReplyDelete