Friday, March 14, 2014

The Gift of Time!

Time is such a strange thing. It whizzes by or drags on and on and on. No matter what it is hard to measure.


Today, time was a gift. I had three uninterrupted hours in my classroom. Three whole hours! I sifted through piles, assessed math pages (they do understand equivalent fractions), wrote decent lesson plans and prepared materials for them, and filed away things from units long past. As I looked around my room, I felt at peace.


As a classroom teacher, my day is dictated by time and schedules. Lately, I haven't felt like I have had enough time to go deep with my students. The extracurricular events and programs have been winning lately. It has made me teach thin and it hasn't felt right. Finally last week, I had a week on ZERO interruptions. We wrote, we read, we explored the Solar System, and we manipulated math concepts. It was fantastic.


What is the solution? How do we provide the instruction we know is best in a schedule that we don't always control? Time is a gift and we need to ensure our students receive this precious gift so they can learn to the best of their abilities and style.


WRITE. Every day in March write a slice of life story on your own blog. SHARE. Link your post in the comments on each daily call for slice of life stories here at TWT. GIVE. Comment on at least three other slice of life stories/blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment