Sunday, March 16, 2014

Who Knew?

As teachers, we aren't always aware of the little things that touch a child.


For as long as I can remember whenever I have had inside lunch duty and it is a student's birthday, I have the whole lunchroom sing. Simple, huh?


Last Thursday, I had duty. I clapped to get the attention of the students and let them know it was Aiden's birthday. After a count of three, we sang.


The next day, Aiden's mom (my principal) told me that I had made his birthday so special.  He said that he was sure he'd leave elementary school without ever having Happy Birthday sung to him by the lunchroom. He had always hoped it would happened and finally as a 5th grader, it did!


I was astounded. I always figured the students were humoring me by joining in. Never had it crossed my mind that it was going to mean so much to one student.


Everyday we have the chance to do a little thing; acknowledge a sporting event, notice a new haircut, sing a song, say hello, or just smile!  A small thing can fill a heart!


What are some of the little things you do to fill a heart?


WRITE. Every day in March write a slice of life story on your own blog. SHARE. Link your post in the comments on each daily call for slice of life stories here at TWT. GIVE. Comment on at least three other slice of life stories/blogs.

3 comments:

  1. " A small thing can fill a heart." Always a good reminder to bring joy into our students lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a middle school teacher, I'm sorry to say that I've let birthdays come and go without much celebration. But you're right that this simple step makes a big difference to every kid. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the lunchtime birthday song idea. I check-in daily with every child around the circle and I comment...much like a blog. xo

    ReplyDelete