Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Favorite Time of the Day

As a primary teacher, I read to my students all the time..in math, during theme, big books, and mentor texts in writing and reading.


When I moved to intermediate, I read with a purpose to my students. The books were planned to teach a concept or as a mentor text. When it came to our read aloud, I was very inconsistent. So starting this year, I scheduled a time that I knew would work and nothing could overtake it.


I love reading aloud to my class! They love it, too! They cozy up with bean bags and pillows; listening intently to the story. They predict and ask questions. They groan when the announcements start since they know our read aloud time is over.


Even as hectic as the days have been lately with state testing, all of us relax our shoulders, breathe a sigh of relief, and fall into the world of our book!


This year I have read The One and Only Ivan, Capture the Flag, and The Tiger Rising to my 4th grade class. I feel that there is a book missing from the list (like every thing, I will remember it as soon as I publish this post).


What is your favorite read aloud for students?

1 comment:

  1. This brought back a lot of wonderful memories from teaching third grade...now that I am in a sixth grade position time is even harder to find! Next year I'm going to do better--you've inspired me. My favs from past years were anything Kate diCamillo, especially Edward Tulane. Also enjoyed The Magician's Nephew by Lewis...The BFG...The Best Christmas Pagent Ever...

    ReplyDelete